<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, May 04, 2004

SitdotCom. Just read this article on a recent survey conducted asking people about their favorite sitcoms. Being quite an avid watcher of this genre I was happy to see that two of my favorite sitcoms - Seinfeld and F.R.I.E.N.D.S got the two top spots. While the survey did not consider a large enough population to be termed conclusive I kind of agreed to the results.

The reason, I feel, Friends and Seinfeld are different from others is bacause they manage to make their way into common conversation. I don't even remember how many times I would be discussing random things and quote similar anecdotal evidece from these sitcoms. This is where Simpsons, Everybody Loves Ray etc. fell behind.

I have had several Simpson followers telling me that Friends lacks the intellectual wit that Simpson provides. Even though I like Simpsons myself, this annoys me at times. The success or failure of every entity should be judged based on what it aimed to be rather than on an absolute scale. I am extremely fond of both "Schindler's List" and "Dumb and Dumber" but that does not mean I compare them in the same scale. They both tried to achieve a certain goal and reach out to a certain audience - and they both managed to - that is why they are successful. FRIENDS never wanted to supplement the intellectual mind. As a matter of fact one of its best features is that it has always been unpretencious - it just wanted to be funny and hugely succeeded for the better part of its ten year run in being so.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?