<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Oscar Musings and good old DK 

The Oscars are over. The Aviator flew high and the Million Dollar Baby delivered it's share of punches too. The Incredibles did incredibly well while Chris Rock rocked. Spiderman Two too won an award.

Now any kind of awards ceremony implies a certain amount of friendly speculation, guessing who the winners will be, and the Nandy family is no exception. Bubin meticulously makes us express our opinion before every awards (be it Geetmala Bengali Music awards, Filmfare, Grammy, Oscars - everything) and every time Mummum wins; coz Mummum has her unique style of predicting the winner. "So who do you think will get the best actress Mummum, X or Y?" "Well," Mummum will begin. She'll then close her eyes and see them perform mentally. "I think X will win but I think Y deserves the award." Impeccable policy. If X wins Mummum smiles and says, "I told you X will win" and if Y takes home the trophy Mummum will still give the winner's smile and add in, "Well everyone thought X will win but I told you that Y deserved it more." :) Mummum you are a darling.

While on the topic of Oscars, it's a known fact that lotsa greats have been neglected by the Academy and if I was to hope that one man, who's never occupied that podium, is given a chance I'll hope from the bottom of my heart that it is Dr. D. K. Dutt - my high school Mathematics teacher. My high school had a policy where every morning some teacher read out prayers. Whenever it was Dr. Dutt's turn he thanked EVERYONE and EVERYTHING ... and I mean EVERYTHING. I'll end this post with what I think will be DK's acceptance speech. "I want to thank the Academy, Warner Brothers, my supporting cast and crew, my wife, my children, the limo driver who drove me here, the tailor who stitched my suit, the old barber who gave me a hair cut, the fisherman who caught the shrimp I ate for lunch, you sir in row one seat A, you sir in row one seat B, you madam ..." :)

Comments:
One of my pals won a quiz in Chennai once, some music quiz. The quizmaster was a knowitall jerk and the whole quiz was generally boring. The Hindu the next day, has something like this to say ' Amidst the whole dreary affair, it was these two gentlemen (my friends) who brought some cheer to proceedings'. The reason being, when they won, they both broke out into a tearful thank you speech, thanking everyone quite like you said Dr.Dutt would. He even thanked me, munnu, chaachuu, pappu, duddu and all the names he could come up with. The audience was in splits and the quizmaster was extremely pissed at his un-quiz-manly behavior !
 
Here i am on a blog readin spree,the evening before my first board exam...hopin all the blog-authors would serve as inspirations as i have my eng lang paper tmrw!!! aah..just an excuse!so..well thank u sagnik,thank u kumari,thank u blogspot,thank u everyone!:)
 
Here i am on a blog readin spree,the evening before my first board exam...hopin all the blog-authors would serve as inspirations as i have my eng lang paper tmrw!!! aah..just an excuse!so..well thank u sagnik,thank u kumari,thank u blogspot,thank u everyone!:)
kanthi
 
There was this one gentleman who after receiving an Oscar for something I don't remember- said jokingly...I don't want to thank anyone- I did it all on my own...very true.....but then he played safe and followed the trend. I wonder what would happen if you do not thank anyone? Will the Oscar be confiscated? I mean, if the time regulation was not there, we would have known every person Hillary Swank had met in her lifetime.
This way Filmfare is much ahead- for ex., when Javed Akhtar gets 5 nominations in the best lyricist category- all he needs is to thank the Filmfare...rest all are insignificant.
 
:) Arijit is right. Hillary Swank was on a roll last night. They practically shooed off stage!

On the other hand, there was the chap who said "No I don't want to take my time. I want to get off this stage." :D
It's always nice to watch regular people winning something.
 
@Vignesh - in an otherwise boring quiz in my undergrad days the scorer came to rescue. He read out the cores of every round in a new format (in binary, in hex, in reverse form etc.). The things ppl do to make quizzes enjoyable :)

@Kanthi - wish you all the best for your exam. Hope you crack it and come back here for more "action" :))

@Ari - Thanking others is a way of reminding some of them that "they aren't getting a chance to do the same". Imagine saying, "I want to thank all the actors who did not get this" ... how do yo uthik they feel? They are like yeah I dint get the Oscar but at least the winner thanked me :)

@Rajesh - I liked Hillary Swank :( She was the only way I could have been thanked (if they dint cut her off). It was like that old music system ad - "It was soo nice, why did you turn it off??"
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?