<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, April 14, 2005

The promised piece 

(A few hours before Bengali New Year - this post is very appropriate!)

This post is part of a promise given to someone last night (even though the person concerned was in a state of drunken faze). Now this person is almost like a little brother to me (even though he addresses me by relations that should put both our families to shame) and I shall keep my promise. The allegation was - I don't defend Bongs :)

OK! For people who aren't aware of what I'm talking abt - here's a recap. I'm a Bengali ( (un)affectionately referred to by many as a Bong). Now without getting into the logistics of the matter moi has to confess that Bong Bashing is a favorite past time for many. Moreover, I went to an engineering school outside Bengal where Bongs are/were a minority - translates to easy target. So there were times I was made the spokesperson for the entire Bong race. "Sourav Ganguly got out cheaply. Sagnik - it's your fault." ... "Mithun Chakrobarty does B-grade movies. Sagnik - it's your fault." ... "Bappi Lahiri wears a lot of jewellery. Sagnik - that's your fault too." ... "Rani Mukherjee is sooooo pretty. Sagnik - she is an Indian" :)

Now over the years I've realized some profound things myself (often the hard way) - (i) confrontations never do anyone any good; so avoid them, and (ii) if people are trying to irk you, then the best way to combat the situation is to make fun of the situation yourself. Take away from your detractors the one thing they are relying on - your embarrassment - and you have crippled them :)

So you'll rarely see me getting all red and defending Bengalis - not because I'm ashamed to be one (I'm very happy that I'm a Bengali) - it's just because I follow (or at least try to) the above 2 points. So li'l bro (and I know you read this blog) - see I spoke abt being a Bengali and that I'm proud of being one. To end this post, I'll narrate one of my favorite related incidents on the subject from recent times. The other character involved in the conversation is my ex-apt mate.

(Sa): Bong. Bong. blah blah. Bad ... blah balh ... Bong Bong.
Me: That's it (laughing). I'll not take any Bong Bashing from a Oriya. You name me the 5 most famous Oriya's and then we'll talk.
(Sa): Ok! There's Shibsundar Das.
Me: Ok! If u start your "5 most famous list" with Shibsundar Das (start laughing) then you're getting yourself into trouble.
(Sa): Ok! The two Patnaiks.
Me: Great! Three more to go.
(Sa): Netaji.
Me: What? He was a Bengali.
(Sa): But he was born in Cuttack!
Me: Your are the worst mouth piece of your race (both laughing).
(Sa): ... and the fith one ... you won't know.
Me: What?

Comments:
Die! You filthy Bong ! Die!! Die!! And just for the gory impact. Die Again!!
 
@Modi - and I thought we decided we will get our kids married and create the Bong-Gult alliance. come on - our grandchild can have the flair of Chiru and the style of Mithun - let's make this happen man :))
 
Cool post. One of my friend's friend is a Mukherjee from Bombay, he also has streaks of u...never defends a bong-in-trouble...but readily joins others in bong-bashing....
Anyways, Subho Nobo-borsho..
iti-
u r loving nephew
 
Chi Chi, tumi kemontoro bangali he??? Chakraborty banan tao bhool likhecho!!!

he he...

Subho Noboborsho... Dikbijoy-e beriye poro!!!

Tomar choto Bhai... (Sniff Sniff, Fellow Jacobean, I come to thee with great hopes in mine own heart!!)


Sagnik
 
Happy New Year Sagnik! Seems like today is the New Year in most parts of India. TamilNadu(Puthandu),Kerala (Vishu)etc.

Liked the post. Seems very true because I have come across such Tam-Bram bashing. Sometimes I end up defending...and sometimes I feel like the other person is like a dog barking at the SUN :)

@Anonymous
 
@ari aka nephew - :)

@namesake - ayee Chakrobarty can be spelled in many ways - baas bol diya :)

@anon - oh! New Year is actually tomorrow but thanks a lot. A very happy New year to you too. You a Tam Brahmin? I need someone to discuss how Chandramukhi has shaped up. Any info?
 
sagnik, no benagli sweets for bong bashers,
only stones from bihar quarries !!
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
I second Modi :). But Rajnikanth rules and you ought to choose worthy opponents like Gults.
 
@happy - tell me please how is Chandramukhi - all my Tam sources have disappointed me with no first hand info - help me
 
Glass Bongs and Bong featuring Herbal Smoke, water bongs, bongs online head shop, Marijuana Alternative,glass water bongs, Hashish, Ganja, homemade bongs, Smokeshop, cannibis, legal smoking alternatives for herbal highs and aphrodisia. http://www.headshopinternational.com
 
Glass Bongs and Bong featuring Herbal Smoke, water bongs, bongs online head shop, Marijuana Alternative,glass water bongs, Hashish, Ganja, homemade bongs, Smokeshop, cannibis, legal smoking alternatives for herbal highs and aphrodisia. http://www.headshopinternational.com
 
i don´t agree......http://www.water-bongs-glass-pipes.com/ is cheaper and better...check it
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?